Sunday, January 5, 2014

December 22, 2013

I can read English just fine but speaking I run into trouble every now and again... As far as writing and spelling goes... Ya I am pretty much doomed there.

Yes, I have had dreams that are in Chinese. Yes, I have talked in my sleep in Chinese. Talking doesn't require much thinking anymore, but listening still take effort. Chinese as a language is just sooo broad and huge its hard to just become natural at listening. It really depends on the people I talk to. When talking to kids (like teenagers or young adults) most conversations don't require much effort but as soon as the start telling stories or share experiences it can get hard because the use idioms, slang, or just weird words I don't know. The older generations 50+ some of them can have just wack Chinese and no one (not even locals) know what the heck they are saying. There is this LA grandma we visit we call her popo (what you call them in Chinese -- old women) and I think she may speak Fuk Gau Wa which is like a cross between like Mandarin, Cantonese and some third Chinese dialect... However we can understand like 70% of the time... maybe... and so that's always fun when we run into people like that and we really have no idea what they are saying.

I am not all that trunkie. I am excited for things but I am not like ready to go home nor am I like dying to stay on my mission. I think I will be a missionary who will finish and be glad he served and I hope I can say I know I did all I could. 

We live with Elder Beal and Elder Anderson. Elder Beal is from Layton, Utah and Elder Anderson is from North Carolina (but his family just moved to Provo like two month ago). I get along great with Elder Beal, he is pretty young as a missionary (same time as Elder Martinez, the elder I trained) but he is doing great. Elder Anderson is the same age (mission time) as Elder Beal (but he is junior).

The zone for all of December thus far has taught 160 member presents and 25 FULL family lesson YA YA baby!! So the Zone is doing alright, need to find new investigators and get more people to church that's our real problem right now.

We are trying to see Mrs. Chau this week sometime she is pretty busy but she loves to talk to us on the phone sooo things are going well.

Brother Tong is the member his wife and daughter are the investigator. They didn't come to church this week because they were sick BUT us and some member are going to their flat on Tuesday to do some caroling yaya! So it should be pretty awesome!

... it blows my mind that some people just don't know how to be parents. I feel like without the church I will still know how to be an effective parent at least but the church just brings a whole different spectrum of what a family should be when you are a member in a fully functional member family. Literally kills me sometimes but then I find hope like in Mrs. Chau or Tong family.

I started a new book of Mormon looking for the Power of God as well as trying to read in the Bible everyday. I have been taking so many notes in my two books its taking me FOREVER to get through them. I think I am on 1st Nephi 14 and Matthew 16 or something. Anyways I am learning a TON from it. 1st Nephi is such an awesome book, there is no doubt in my mind that it was suppose to be the first book in the Book of Mormon

 Check out how Christmas-y my desk is! Pretty legit right? I got cards from people, some presents, a stocking and most importantly Jesus in the center!
 However my favorite gift (I haven't opened them all yet) is my moose tie (it said moose tie on the back -- totally thought it was a reindeer) ya... I look pretty Lengjai (popular Chinese word that literally translates to "Handsome-Boy") yaya

At church yesterday we got about 20 lbs of food given to us and I had to carry it home while Elder Liu carried 3 packages (mine, his and another Elder's). BUT THE BEST thing given to us were these homemade cookies from Sister Yim... She lived in America for a while and she can make food like an AMERICAN.


Merry Christmas and I hope everyone remembers what we should really being focusing on at this time. I have had no greater gift in my life than to serve my Lord and God with all my heart, might, mind, and strength these last 1.5 year.

No comments:

Post a Comment