Sunday, February 2, 2014

January 5, 2014

I didn't do anything for my birthday just worked haha. Elder Liu along with the sister got some members to jump out at me while I was finding and sing me happy birthday... Scared the crap out of me but it was nice. Also got a nice little mango cake it was pretty good. I don't know I feel like birthdays, Christmas and other holidays are different on your mission. That might just be because I am in China but at least that's how I feel. I haven't had a chance to buy Pizza yet, I'll do it later. ha

The markets here are all over the place... We have places like Taste, Fusion, Park N Shop, Wellcome which are all like wal mart's food shops. Then you just have these things called gaisi's (I forgot the English word sorry) they are kind of like a farmers market, you can buy meat, fish, veggies, every kind of food. Its pretty easy to get food. Normally we eat out here in Kwai Fong (where I currently live) because there are a lot of shops and they are all pretty cheap! However when we do cook food we normally just buy it all on Monday and it will last us or we will buy out haha. 


I think President Hawks is going to split the companionship with the many many problems. They can't work it out and I honestly think they don't want to or decided they can't. Its pretty sad. President Hawks has taught us a lot (or at least I've noticed) that no matter the struggle if you are focused on one purpose your disagreements will slow disappear as you work together for your goal (sounds kinda like marriage haha). Even with a previous companion we put aside our many disagreements and worked together. Eh its a shame but they won't work it out. Not sure if it will or when but something needs to change. 

Our investigator pool is doing okay -- need to see everyone more often than we do, that is our real problem. Overall investigators are doing great. People are facing trials and they just have to have enough faith to get past that, that's all.

Sis Lee and Cheung - are they both single sisters with kids? (I think it is way cool an investigator is bring an investigator)

They are both married. We actually found out this week Sis Cheung lives up in Tai Po (kind of near Sheung Shui) so we will be turning her over, oh and Mandarin is her mother tongue so we plan to turn her over to the Mandarins up there. She is super awesome.

Why did you chose the name Benjamin? did he like it? Do the kids go by their Chinese name or English name?
Most people here go by their English names. Its easier to distinguish people and they like the Western culture, etc. We chose Benjamin from the Book of Mormon (the King) just because that's kind of what he looked like. He didn't really care he is seven but his mum loves it. She only calls him Ben or Benjamin now haha.
When did you get Cherry? does she live with them? is she related to the dad or mom?
We got her at the Christmas party and she is Katie's cousin from her mum's side. She lives all the way in Tuen Muen sooo pretty far away (like 40 minutes by bus). We've seen her a couple times she awesome.
I don't recall Mrs. Chow?
Mrs. Chow is the lady from the restaurant that Elder Allen and I met when a member took us out to eat. She is doing awesome. It's hard to teach her at her home at the moment because its being renovated but she really wants us over. She is awesome. 
AWing still on for his baptism in Feb? how is his sweet tea thing doing?
A Wing is doing okay. We had a misunderstanding... Well when I say misunderstanding I mean we (Elder Liu and I) misunderstood his Chinese... We thought he said sing1keih4yaht6 meaning Sunday but he said sing1keih4yat1 meaning Monday... So he said he only had Mondays off for January not Sundays... So he can't come to church this month due to work ): Its alright he is still progressing and doing all that he can. No problems with the tea
Who is the family you found and taught after your illness?
Haha Tong family. I love them. Tong family is doing pretty great. Mum was sick this week so we couldn't teach her. Bro Tong and Katie came to church (by the way at Cheung Sha Wan we start with Elders->sunday school->sacrament) they showed up the last 20 minutes of Elder quorum but the mum wasn't there because she was still sick. Then she showed up for sacrament! Like out of no where, and that's like all I fasted for was for them to come to three hours of church (almost made it) but it was awesome! Katie is friends with all the kids at church and found out one of her classmates is a member. Sis Choi's daughter! Yaya so that's super awesome 

Eh not much else to report. We found a bunch of families this week through a new method of English class park finding... It is scary and awkward as all get out but it works. We just walk up to parents in a park and try to talk to them... Pretty simple right? No... its weird and awkward for everyone. Because they all stare and some parents reject you super rudely then you try to talk to the family sitting next to them..... anyways its hard BUT we got 7 family phone numbers and should be rescheduling them this week :) awesome

Eh not much else to report. We found a bunch of families this week through a new method of English class park finding... It is scary and awkward as all get out but it works. We just walk up to parents in a park and try to talk to them... Pretty simple right? No... its weird and awkward for everyone. Because they all stare and some parents reject you super rudely then you try to talk to the family sitting next to them..... anyways its hard BUT we got 7 family phone numbers and should be rescheduling them this week :) awesome

With the Christmas gift (money)I bought this epic tiger sweater :D Yaya! (Elder Liu bought that jacket too) My hair looks crazy mostly because I took this picture right after I showered... Ya anyways I just really liked this sweater. It was like USD$10 haha :D
 So I heard Matt stole all my clothes INCLUDING my hats so I got one this
weekend for like USD$5 haha its a BOYGIRL hat they are pretty popular in
Hong Kong

To end on a spiritual note this is my current Bible. I have really started
studying the way Jesus teaches and lives. Without any better words it truly
is inspiring to read. Everyday I get to see literally how Jesus lived his
life, what I need to do to change, how can I share the gospel better, how
did Jesus Christ teach the people he met and so on and so forth. The Bible
has really changed my eyes recently on my mission on how I see and act has
person as well as a mission. Especially when reading about his eternal
sacrifice for us all; his suffering on in the Garden, his death on the
cross and most importantly his resurrection to save us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment